Saturday 31 December 2016

Pete's top ten of 2016

It's been a strange old year. Nothing quite went as expected, both globally of course but also closer to home as I spent a large chunk of the year off work and unable to get out and about. On a positive note though we did manage to launch the website Andy and I had talked about several times in the past and, having only got into landscape photography properly in November 2015, I've managed to stay positive and enthusiastic about the hobby throughout the year. No sign of slowing down either, with more trips being planned and of course even more equipment being purchased. Plus I seem to be back to good health again so onwards and upwards!

I've got a good feeling about 2017, but for now here's a quick look back to ten of my favourite shots of 2016 (in no particular order!).

Trevose Head Lighthouse: 21/10/2016
Trevose Head Lighthouse
A surprisingly successful trip down to Cornwall for a few days, where both myself and friend Ian Pain outdid ourselves with how well we had organised everything! We did several coastal locations but I think this is my favourite.
View Large!

Lizard Point Sunrise: 21/10/2016
Lizard Point sunrise
A location I struggled with for quite a while as to get a good angle you've got to get closer to the edge than I was willing to get, but this just about works for me. The sunbeams from the lovely sunrise made this shot a keeper.
View Large!

On top of the world: 30/12/2016
Top of the World
My last photo of 2016, taken on a particular foggy day around Devon. I've seen this view multiple times over the years but never tried a photo, on this day I got quite lucky with the conditions! About ten minutes after taking this shot, Dartmoor was lost from view.
View Large!

River Teign: 05/11/2016

River Teign

Three visit to the same locations in three weeks, attempting to get these lovely colours at their best. It's another well-trodden photographic path but the appeal of the location is far too good to ignore.
View Large!

Milky Way over Exmouth: 07/08/2016
Milky Way over Exmouth
Ever since I saw the incredible images by photographer Mark Gee part way through 2015 I've wanted to give astrophotography a go. I've been out in the dark at ungodly hours on several occasions in 2016, and whilst this is not my favourite nighttime photo of 2016, it is the best shot of the Milky Way I've tried so far. Plus I like the fact it was taken from my hometown in Exmouth!
View Large!

Wimbleball Lake: 24/05/2016
Wimbleball Lake
A trip to Exmoor during May that I found hard going, but I came away with a few shots I was happy with. This is probably my favourite, one very tranquil morning at Wimbleball Lake.
View Large!

Djupalonssandur: 10/02/2016
Djupalonssandur
As with most coastal shoots I've done, I left this place with wet feet.
View Large!

Road Trippin': 12/02/2016
Road Trippin'
My first real view of the Northern Lights didn't disappoint. This evening was something else to behold, with the lights getting more and more dramatic as the hours past. This was just the start of the light show, a few hours after this the entire sky was dancing with a fantastic multi-coloured display. It was truly the most incredible sight I've ever seen. Andy keeps telling me I need to write a blog-post about Iceland as I have hundreds of never-shown before images, I'll get around to it one day!
View Large!

Vatnajökulsþjóðgarður Ice cave: 14/02/16
Vatnajökulsþjóðgarður Ice cave
In an outstanding trip across Iceland earlier this year, the visit to this Ice Cave was the highlight. To get the opportunity to visit such a remote place without any tourists getting in the way, and to get a nice sunset like this, was a really great moment. Later on the same day I took the following photo, making it probably the single most productive photographic day I've ever had...
View Large!

The Northern Lights: 14/02/2016
The Northern Lights
I have to be honest, I love this photo. I'm an awful critic of my own photos but I'm really proud of this one, in fact it's printed and framed and hanging on the wall as I type these words. It's only the second picture of my own I've liked enough to hang on a wall!
View Large!

No comments:

Post a Comment